The City of Butler will be getting some new equipment as a result of recently being awarded a federal grant.
Tuesday night City Council accepted a 2018 Assistance to Firefighters Grant of nearly $72,000 to be used for vehicle rescue equipment. 95% of the grant is federal funding and the remaining 5% is a local match of just over $3,000.
Butler City Fire Chief Chris Switala says the money will be used to upgrade all of the city’s vehicle rescue equipment.
Some of the equipment this grant is helping to replace was used when the city obtained it over 20 years ago.
This equipment is expected to be in use by the fire department sometime early in the new year.