Investigators are back out at a Butler City home on Monday trying to figure out what caused an apparent explosion and subsequent fire on Friday.
Captain Jim Kaufman with the Butler City Fire Department said the fire started about 4 p.m. at a duplex on West Fulton Street.
“The first floor exterior back porch was heavily involved in fire and it had traveled into the first floor bedroom,” Kaufman said in an interview on Monday.
Kaufman said the first floor tenants safely escaped with their dog. The second floor tenant was not home but his dog was. Firefighters were able to rescue that dog.
A state police fire marshal will be on scene today trying to figure out what may have exploded.
“They did have a tabletop propane grill on the back porch,” he said. “That very well could have been that tank that vented.”
A Butler City firefighter reportedly suffered heat exhaustion and was treated at Butler Memorial.
According to Kaufman, the first floor is unlivable. The second floor will need cleaned.