Halloween is a time for fun, of course. But it can also be a dangerous time for fires caused by candles or electrical lighting.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, an average of 30 people are injured every year and millions spent in damages due to fires that start when decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
Experts recommend using battery-operated candles or glow-sticks in jack-o-lanterns, keep dried decorations away from all heat sources, and avoid damaging electrical cords or lights or decorations.
Those planning to head out trick-or-treating or to parties should avoid costumes with long, trailing fabric that could easily catch on fire as well as provide kids with flashlights to carry as part of costumes.