A Beaver County nursing home that gained notoriety for their response to the COVID-19 pandemic is now facing healthcare fraud charges.
Brighton Rehab was one of two Western PA nursing homes that allegedly had senior administration using two separate schemes in order to make extra money off of federal programs.
The charging documents say that Brighton Rehab falsified staffing and patient records to the state department of health in order to secure additional funding from Medicare and Medicaid.
There were five individuals who were specifically charged with crimes according to the Attorney General’s office:
- Sam Halper, age 39, of Miami Beach, Fla.
- Eva Hamilton, age 35, of Beaver, Pa.
- Susan Gilbert, age 61, of Lawrence, Pa.
- Michelle Romeo, age 46, of Hillsville, Pa.
- Johnna Haller, 41, of Monaca, Pa.
Attorney General Josh Shapiro did clarify that these investigations are separate from any investigation regarding Brighton’s response to the pandemic.