A fire ripped through a home Monday night in Jefferson Township.
It started about 6 p.m. at a built-out mobile home in the 100 block of Bonniebrook Road.
Saxonburg Fire Chief Chris Ballina said when his crew arrived there was heavy fire in the basement, which was working its way upstairs.
“The whole downstairs was engulfed. It was ripping,” Ballina said in an interview.
Don and Dawn Ernst were renting the home and preparing to buy it. They were both able to safely escape, along with their pets.
The fire is thought to have started by a kerosene heater that had tipped over.
According to Ballina, the home was a total loss. The property owner, who lives in Sarver, said he has insurance.