A fire Monday afternoon in Karns City forced three people to flee from their home.
Petrolia Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chuck Barnes said the fire started about 1:30 p.m. at a two-story rental house on Main Street.
“Flames were showing from the one side of the building,” Barnes said in an interview. “The fire was coming from the kitchen area.”
The house is divided into three apartments. Three people were inside one of the first-floor apartments when the fire began. All were able to escape with one suffering a minor burn.
The fire stopped traffic on Main Street around the same time kids were getting out of Karns City High.
“We had to block off Main Street until we had the fire knocked down,” he said.
The fire is thought to have started in the kitchen and is not being considered suspicious. The Butler Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the displaced residents.