With temperatures remaining in the teens and single digits, you may want to use a space heater to provide a little extra warmth.
The Red Cross wants you to be careful when using additional heaters to warm up.
Space heaters are the second leading cause of house fires according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Tips for heat safety:
- All heaters need space. Keep children, pets, and things that can burn (paper, matches, bedding, furniture, clothing, carpets, and rugs) at least three feet away from heating equipment.
- Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace.
- Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.
- Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, and chimneys inspected annually by a professional, and cleaned if necessary.
- If you must use a space heating, place it on a level, hard, and nonflammable surface (such as a ceramic tile floor), not on rugs, or carpets or near bedding or drapes. Plug power cords directly into outlets and never into an extension cord or power strip.